I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Spending time


"If you do not let other people indescriminately spend your money, you have no obligation to let them spend your time. Your time, like your money, is yours to spend and to control." Fred Smith, Author of "You and Your Network"


I read that statement in an old book. It rang loud and clear because my friend Ken says it in many different ways and fairly regularly. Years ago, someone encouraged me to view time like money: It is best to invest and worst to spend.

At best I've nominally taken those bits of wisdom over the years. It always sounded right, but the living out of it is the part that takes great intention, planning, discernment, and priorities. I'm getting it more and more these days. Mostly driven by necessity in the running of our business. It often takes me much time and many mistakes to learn but I catch on after a while.

As I reflect on people I admire, they take great care to guard their time. That's why time with a quality person is always time well invested.

Hope your time is well invested!

No comments: