I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Dad, Do you Like yourself?



I arrived home late at the end of the day. Marcia had dinner waiting, the kids were ready to eat. As I walked into the house I rushed around, emptying my arms of stuff - lunch box, computer bag, papers... Watching my mad rush, my son Conor asked me, "Dad, do you like yourself?" I took pause. "Yes, Conor I like myself. How about you? Do you like yourself." His simple reply, "Yeah, I do." I asked him why he asked. He said, "I was just thinking about it."

I told him, "Conor, you're on the right path." I've thought about that moment probably 10 times in the last three days. There's something quite profound about liking yourself. We're meant for it. It set's us up to be liked and to like others. Sometimes, little things just catch you by surprise. Conor gave me a drop of grace while he was "just thinking about it."

1 comment:

Ken McCord said...

Great stuff Dave.
As your friend, I believe it. The more you like yourself the greater your impact! Your impact continues to expand bro!

As your brother in Christ, I see Him perfecting you.
Let's stay the course and, Conner, that's the question we lead every evaluation, do you like yourself! Make sure you trade mark that ;-).

Kenny