I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Every-Day Life Ministry

Today I ran into a friend who moved from San Francisco to Atlanta a couple of years ago. David Jordan was here on business and we saw each other at the worship gathering of First Baptist Church of San Francisco. He asked me how things were going and we got to talking about N-Hance, the business I partially own. As we talked I reminded David of a conversation we had seven years ago, when he was single and a successful lawyer at law firm in the city's financial district.

One thing I said in the conversation was that ministry happens in every-day life, not centered in a church building. I have fought every day of the last few years to live out those words. The day I stopped being paid to be a pastor was the day I was fully released to pursue everyday life ministry.

That day was a scary day, because there were so many unknowns. I didn't know how to run a business, how to lead without a pulpit plat-form, or how to sell anything. I'd never considered myself an entreprenuer. And I certainly didn't have great negotiating skills. But, I found myself taking a scary step into the world of owning a small business. That seems a lot smaller with a few years of perspective.

The milestone reminds me that I have a long way to go in living out life as ministry, but have certainly come a long way. I'm thankful for the conversation that day with David jordan. It was powerful to revisit how far we've come since then. Talk with me again in another 7 years.

1 comment:

Ken McCord said...

Glad you are writing! Keep it up!

Ken