I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dropping your guard



I'm really enjoying my relationship with my son David. He's 15 years old and is blossoming in so many ways. It's a joy to see him developing and learning lessons of discipline and hard work. He plays baseball on the JV team at Balboa High. This week his team took first place for the season. What a win! Those boys played some good baseball. 7-1 for the season. He even caught a dramatic out where he dove for it, hit the ground and got the 3rd out. Fun stuff!

Fast forward to this morning. The playoffs are next week, practice is today. He realizes he doesn't have his glove. He must have left it on the field after the big win. Showing up at practice without a glove is a problem. We agreed that he dropped his guard that day, not paying attention to what was to come. It feels good to be on a winning team. But, if you drop your guard a win can be wasted. We had this powerful conversation about keeping your guard up, especially after a win. Man, I want to live that lesson every day! David and I both want to winners every day. We agreed to help each other in paying the price and paying attention, especially when we've won.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Congrats to David first of all!

It's easy to drop one's guard, all to often after the mountaintop experience, thanks for the reminder to always be on guard, we need it here.

Pray for us tonight we're having 6 families in our home!! God is good!

David Lantow said...

Mike:

You have my prayers. Looking forward to seeing you in SF this summer!

Peace, David