I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I see myself in my children -Good and bad

Sunday night I had one of the most powerful moments I've had with one of my children. Jillian broke a window at our house with a rock. It's a small window, not a major deal. Marcia found out first and was inspecting the damage. Jillian broke it by accident. She was hiding a unique looking rock as part of a game with Conor and our neighbor Allyssa. I walked into it and started by teaching Jillian that rocks and windows don't mix. Then, I told her I was proud that she came to mom and told her the truth about it. Pause. I could tell by the look on Jillian's face and Marcia's that something was off. Unpause. What actually happened was that Allyssa came over and said, "Jillian, my mom thinks you need to tell your parents you broke the window." Ouch! Can I just say, my blood started to boil? I was ticked. But I did have enough sense to ask God to be with me as a discipline my little one.

I seriously was not mad about that window. It was all about her hiding the truth. But, I realized that I have done the same thing many times. I'm an adult and I have tried to hide my mistakes out of self-preservation. I think God gave me a good memory in that moment to taper my anger. It turned out to be a couple of hours of helping Jillian conquer fear! More later. Dinner is ready...

1 comment:

Tony Birge said...

Dave, the journey that God has guided you on is truly an amazing path of lessons. Thank you for being so tranparant as to allow those around you to share in these great moments! I love you man! Your brother, Tony