I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Starting places

I got an email today that reads:

David,

Thank you again! He already took a few spins on it. Look forward to catching up again.

Steve



That note is priceless! Recently Steve and I agreed we'd pass on Conor's old bike to Jason Hong. That little red bike had been used by each of my three children. It's not a very impressive bike. I picked it up for David back in 1998 when he was 4 years old. I got it from a garage sale in Anaheim. I spent $50 on new parts, tires, paint job and it was ready to go. Each of my children learned to ride on that bike.

Fast forward thirteen years to 2011 and we're planning to pass on to Jason. But it needs new tires, so I head to Ocean Cyclery in SF to pick them up from Jeff. He quickly says, "Dave, that bike has seen better days. Check out this mint condition bike I have for $50." This $50 bike is LIKE NEW! It looks awesome! If I'm a little boy, that's exactly the bike I want. So, I invested the money into Jason Hong as a gift. What you don't know about Jason is that he has some developmental issues. The doctors tell Steve and Cathy to treat Jason like he's handicapped.

Steve told me he doesn't want training wheels for Jason's bike. He doesn't want him to rely on them. And that's the kind of parenting they're using to raise Jason. Steve didn't know it, but he inspired me that day with that simple statement. And that's why I bought the great little bike from Ocean Cyclery. I view it as an investment into Jason because his Daddy believes in him. There are few things more powerful than a blessing from your Father. With that kind of starting place a little boy can go far in life. Jason: you're blessed. Keep riding young boy, keep riding.

No comments: