I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Aliens And Strangers

Thanks to the Lam family for hosting a special small group meeting tonight. My faith is richer because of the other Jesus people in my life.

"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul."

It's a strange thing to consider myself an alien in the only home I've known. But, that's just what the Bible calls on God's people to do. Today, I explained this to Conor, my 8 year old son. Well, I tried. My second attempt is this written statement:

"Conor, when you see your friends whining and fussing because they didn't get their way... You don't do that! You won't always get your way because you're not the center of the world. You can't do all the things you see other kids doing, because we're not like other families. We're supposed to be different because we're following Jesus. We don't just do whatever we want. We think about what we do first. And we control our emotions. Conor, you're a child of God. That means you live differently. Be who you're meant to be! I'm proud of you and love you with all I've got." Dad

No comments: