I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Global Inequality


UC Santa Cruz has a pretty cool interactive resource for use in mapping global inequality from many perspectives. It show poverty related issues such as income, gross domestic product, and foreign investments. Then also tracks internet users and telephone lines per capita, as well as number of women compared to men. And of course health related issues - specfic diseases like measles, polio, malaria, and AIDS.

One thing often missing from these talks is the role of the state of mind. Ancient wisdom says: "For as he thinketh within himself, so is he...". (Prov. 23:7 in the Bible). One of the questions before anyone wishing to change himself is "How do I change my mind?" May the harder question is, "Am I willing to change my mind?"

UC Atlas of Global Inequality

1 comment:

Tony Birge said...

Hey Dave,

How are you and your family doing? Has Matt Hyde contacted you lately? Also, I have a picture on my blog that I took last week of the fires. Check it out. I will try to call you soon to catch up my friend!

Tony