I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

OMI Festival



Today was the OMI International Family Festival. The festival is held the third Saturday of every September on Faxon at Ocean Ave. It was a big success, both inclusive and celebrative. For the first time a mayor of San Francisco even made an appearance. I started the day intending to be at the festival, setting up and helping ensure it's success. Unfortunately, Michael Waddell our head technician with NHance fell on the job. After an emergency room visit, xrays, and some rest he'll be ok next week. Good news! Ror today I stepped in to fill his spot. So I missed most of the festival. On the upside I was able to work with Nathan Clark. He's been on our team since March, he's doing a great job.

As we talked about the festival he asked why I've been so active in promoting and building it over the last 7 years. I love talking about it, so that was the right question. Actually, I just like talking. :-) I told Nathan it was pretty natural to be involved. When we moved to the neighborhood back in 2000 we began looking for signs of life so our family could get involved. I heard about the festival and found Maria Picar, who is the director of the group that puts on the festival. The rest has played out over the years.

I think of my time as valuable and even a gift to give. Any community is made stronger by the people who are involved. God's people have long been called to go into our social networks bringing goodness, truth, and positive influence. So the way I see it, responsibility leads the way. Not wanting to get philosophical about "why". But it does matter. In the end, I have a limited amount of volunteer hours. So I want to give them where it counts. Next year we're expecting to reserve an additional portion of the street as we grow to the next level.

No comments: