I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Friday, September 14, 2007

The Spot light


It's tough to be a spokesperson in an entertainment consumed society. I saw this clip from CNN about Christians and Yoga. John MacArthur has been one of the popular spokespersons for his brand of Christianity for years. He looks very comfortable doing his thing on national media. Doug Pagitt looks a little uncomfortable, newer at it no doubt. His nuanced answers don't seem to fit in with the host's desire to show stark differences in the two views.

Issues aside, it is tough to talk with the media. As you grow in influence more opportunities arise to speak. I recently did an interview with a local newspaper and got stung by my own words. I wasn't care-full enough with my words, and the result was not what I really wanted printed. I realized I was thinking more about myself and less about the people I represent. That was my problem in that moment. Lesson learned.

Yoga and Christians

No comments: