I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

A vist from an old friend

My friend Jose Ortega visited with my family Friday and Saturday. He and his girlfriend spent the night in our home. Jose is one of my oldest friends, having known each other since we were 10 years old. We've seen each other go through so many life phases and changes over those 27 years. As he left last night I couldn't help but reflect on some things that have changed.

As Jose pointed out I'm losing my hair. Thanks buddy for pointing out the obvious. :-) That change I can't do much about. I decided a long time ago, that I'm not interested in trying to hide it or correct it. Nature can run it's course at that level.

Jose lost some serious weight and kept if off. Way to go Hoser!

Jose married a year before me and divorced a handful of years later. Man, that was a tough blow. It's affected every area of his life with deep harshness. He's still rebuilding from many of the implications. Another tough part is seeing a friend go through that pain.

Something that stayed the same is he's still a big Raiders fan, and I'm not much of a sports fan. In fact, he's at the Raiders game as I write.

I think the biggest change in me is that I'm in pursuit of Jesus and His way. I saw it played out in some of our conversations. Like when we talked about his possible move to Texas. Asking the "why?" question caused him to think of some things he didn't. But, that's what friends should do. I asked some questions and gave some input because I care. Asking questions provokes. I remember a day when I wouldn't do that. Now I see the value it inputing.

Looking forward to another visit with Jose. Thank God for old friends.

No comments: