I'm seeing life increasingly through a lens of my contribution toward goodness, life, and grace and then my efforts that take away from these things. I'm only one life, just like any of us. And I want my life to be given toward positive contributions of the whole. That's the way of Jesus of Nazareth, whom I'm patterning my life after. So it seems to me that being a citizen of the whole is a choice that you can't assume. And it's the path I've chosen to follow.

Monday, January 03, 2011

Leadership Parenting

At the end of today, Marcia brought the kids to our office to help take down the Christmas decorations. I notice that when Jillian and Conor come into the office they respond with curiosity to my work. As I'm busy doing what I'm supposed to be doing, they want to come around me. They want to see what I'm doing, ask questions about it, and just be with me. Now, don't get me wrong. Every child should want to be around their dad. And I love that I have my children's interest. Even David, our teenager responds this way. I actually think they see something that they know is good and right. They see me taking care of my responsibilities and they are drawn to it.

I think there is a powerful lesson here. Leaders naturally take care of lots of things that no one else notices. The things leaders do protect those under their influence. Children, whether they realize it or not, want to be protected. This inspires me to lead for the sake of my children. They need to learn how to engage their responsibilities. If they don't learn it from their daddy and mommy, then who?

1 comment:

Tiera said...

Awesome post. Love to see and hear that people parent in a responsible and loving and intentional manner. God Bless to you and the family.

Tiera